Tuesday, June 7: Job 22- Hitting a man who is down.

 

What courage does it take to stomp on a man who is wounded and down? What courage to “rebuke” a friend who is broken? None.

I am amazed at the comments that Eliphaz makes regarding Job’s life. Is not your wickedness great? Are not your sins endless? You demanded security from your brothers for no reason; you stripped men of their clothing, leaving them naked. You gave no water to the weary and you withheld food from the hungry, though you were a powerful man, owning land-- an honored man, living on it. And you sent widows away empty-handed and broke the strength of the fatherless. That is why snares are all around you, why sudden peril terrifies you… (5-10).

I don’t know how to react to drivel like this. If Eliphaz knew that Job was doing these things and didn’t confront him sooner, then what kind of a ‘friend’ is he? What friend would let a buddy live a lie like this and not say something to correct him before it was too late?  Especially believing that Eliphaz believes God will judge the wicked in this life.  And if Eliphaz has no proof that Job has done these things, then he is merely assuming or projecting and this is not fair either…

Verbal sparing can get ugly and the rules of honorable engagement can be tossed out the window.  However, this kind of talk does not live up to God’s standard of ‘speaking the truth in love.’

Where the Spirit takes me in the next moments is examining the manner and character of my conversations and arguments when I find myself at odds with another.  Do I resort to tactics like Eliphaz or do I honor God by speaking truthfully with the motivation of love?

Lord, words matter and the tone of my words matters and the spirit behind the words I speak matters.  Lord, I do not always honor You and follow Your decree to speak truthfully in love.  Please forgive me and help me to grow in this area of life…

Also, Lord, help me to seek forgiveness and reconciliation when my words have cut others like swords cut flesh.

This I pray in the name of Jesus, my Lord and Savior, who for me and the world endured the cross that those who believe might be saved. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment