Monday, June 20: Job 33- God is greater than we are

 

Elihu starts bang on… God is greater than man. Simple, straightforward and true.

Those words came as the conclusion of a comparison between Job and God, but as I read I realized it could have been a comparison between me, or any human being, and God.

Verses 8-12 "But you have said in my hearing-- I heard the very words-- 'I am pure and without sin; I am clean and free from guilt. Yet God has found fault with me; he considers me his enemy. He fastens my feet in shackles; he keeps close watch on all my paths.'

"But I tell you, in this you are not right, for God is greater than man.

Though I might think I am pretty good (hopefully I don’t think I carry the arrogance of Job), my goodness doesn’t come close to God’s. He alone is perfect.

Job treads a dangerous precipice…

O, God, keep me far away from this dangerous cliff. Remind me over and over again that I dare not even think for a fleeting moment that I could stand justified in Your presence on my own merit. Only on the merit of my Savior, Jesus, can I stand in your presence. Thank You, Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment