Thursday, June 16: Job 30-

As I read, a quote from Elizabeth Elliot spun through my thoughts: “The best we can hope for is mixed motives.” The validity of that quote seemed proven in this chapter.

Job begins in what I feel is a mocking, belittling tone of friends and young men he feels are attacking him. He ‘disses’ their fathers and then demeans them. Job’s tone seems a beaten man lashing out with his tongue.

The discourse shifts as Job lifts his gaze toward heaven. With respect to God, Job cries out in utter despair.  But there is no mocking on his lips, only the utter desperation of feeling the weight of his situation. "I cry out to you, O God, but you do not answer; I stand up, but you merely look at me. You turn on me ruthlessly; with the might of your hand you attack me. You snatch me up and drive me before the wind; you toss me about in the storm. I know you will bring me down to death, to the place appointed for all the living. (20-23).

Where Job’s lips seemed to lash out, mocking men, they cry in anguish to God. I hear mixed motives leaking through his lips…big time!

God, listening to Job, I hear myself speaking comfort  of You one moment and back talking or mumbling under my breath the next. My mixed motives glare at me like a thousand eyes on a Broadway performer. My smallness before You is so evident as I sit with text in hand today.

Were it not for Jesus and the gifts given on the cross, I would be in despair myself. I remain saddened by my lack of faithfulness, yet You, O God, are the lifter of my head. You value me and call me Your son and I leave my time in Your word buoyed by strength and love You give evermore resolved to live for You, my Redeemer and my Friend! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment