Wednesday, June 8: Job 23- I'll go strait to God

How things turn. Job seems to be done arguing with his friends, now he wants to speak with God. I am fascinated by this. On the one side, Job believes God to be fair and that God would give him a hearing. This suggests to me that Job either has a deep trust in God himself or at least a deep trust in the system of judgment God has established. In a purely human situation, I would either have to trust the judge or the judicial system to willingly seek to state my case and believe I have a fair shot at winning.   Right?!

Given all that has transpired up to this point, my sense is that Job has a deep trust in God.

Interestingly, Job is not going to court to tell God off but rather to plead his case. Even in this request Job is acting honorably with respect to the Lord.

As I read on, it certainly seems that Job is overestimating his abilities to argue his case or his righteousness.  Job seems to think he will convince God. I’m not sure if that is arrogance or stupidity.

All in all, I am awed by Job’s gambit, a willingness to enter God’s court and plead his case… for me that shouts TRUST in GOD!

O, God, the money of my country says, “In God We Trust.” I suspect that is merely a slogan, a phrase with a nice ring to it that is a vestige of decades gone by.

My prayer, O Lord, it that those four words would be absolutely true for me and for my family. That I (and we) will trust in You all the days of our lives until You sweep us home to be with You for eternity. In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment