Wednesday, June 22: Job 35- Seeds of doubt

Job’s final word has been that God would listen to and vindicate him. Job seems to have built his case on his relationship with God, I know my redeemer lives (Job 19:25). Elihu goes at Job by filleting Job’s foundation of his relationship with God.

He [God] does not answer when men cry out because of the arrogance of the wicked. Indeed, God does not listen to their empty plea; the Almighty pays no attention to it. How much less, then, will he listen when you say that you do not see him, that your case is before him and you must wait for him, and further, that his anger never punishes and he does not take the least notice of wickedness (12-15).

As I tried to understand those strong words from Job’s perspective, I heard seeds of doubt being sown. Elihu’s words were cutting at the very foundation of Job’s life… “God won’t listen to you! Why would God care about you, you wicked person?… You are less than nothing in God’s eyes…”

Doubt is a destroyer. Doubt undermines. Doubt is a tactic still used today.

People and our world regularly sow seeds of doubt that God exists, that God would care about you or me. “You are no better than me, why would God listen to you???” The slings and arrows of doubt fly repeatedly and feverishly fast.

We have no response from Job.  Sometimes there is not a response when people fling doubt at us. Clinging to God is our best response. And that we know (or at least for those reading Job for the first time we will discover)is what Job does.

I imagine the words of Elihu, like Job’s other friends’ words, hurt but they did not cause Job to waver on God. Job held to his relationship with the Lord. And that is my ‘take-a-way’ from my time with God and His Word this morning…

I pledge my allegiance to You, Lord, and to the Triune God –my God. I believe in You, I trust my life and salvation to You. I will stand for You and, as best I can, I will share You and live for You all the days of my life. Thanks be to Jesus because He has won the victory! Alleluia! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment