Saturday, November 17: Zephaniah 2- . Seek God

Just before God begins to release His judgments on the surrounding nations, a key verse blazed on the text before me. God’s final comment to the people of Judah, verse 3, Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the LORD's anger.

God’s judgment is decreed and certain.  What can one do? Seek the Lord… live (seek) righteously, humbly and obediently (my interpretation of the verse).

Seek God: get to know Him, learn about Him, endeavor to please Him. Spend time cultivating your knowing of God. Time and intentionality seem to be a key to seeking. Seek the Lord.

Live righteously: live rightly in God’s sight.

Live humbly: don’t grow puffed up about your place with God or your knowing of God.  Remain ever the seeker of God. And likewise, don’t be puffed up with respect to other people either.

Live obediently: remember God is God and we are not. Live His Way not yours. Live by His Rules.

Seems to me that this kind of living would honor God in any time or season…

Off to practice what I have just learned.

Lord, at work and at play I belong to You. I pray for strength to live in a way that always reflects that I am Yours. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment