Thursday, November 1: Micah 1 - God speaks again.

God is ticked at Samaria (capital of the northern kingdom of Israel) and Jerusalem (capital of the Southern Kingdom of Judah). They both have forsaken the Lord. Four prophets wrote around the same time Amos and Hosea, primarily to the northern kingdom and Isaiah and Micah to the southern kingdom.

Apparently both kingdoms were slow to hear God speaking to them!

I was struck by verse 5, All this is because of Jacob's transgression, because of the sins of the house of Israel. What is Jacob's transgression? Is it not Samaria? What is Judah's high place? Is it not Jerusalem?

God is judging Israel and Judah because of their sin. They have left the Lord and gone after other gods and lords.

If it seems like God, in the Old Testament and particularly in the prophets, is always angry, it is helpful to remember that during one particularly dark time God sent four prophets. It is not that God was perpetually angry, but that He called to them again and again, trying, hoping to gain their attention so they would recognize their situation and repent!

God loves them and is calling them home.

God loves us, too.

As I reflect, I realize I, like Samaria and Jerusalem, need to look at myself and confess my sins and repent to the Lord. He will forgive….

Lord God, forgive me. I am and have been filled with sin. Many things I put before You and that is idolatry. Often I don’t listen when You speak to correct me. Forgive me, Lord. Cleanse me, Lord. Through Jesus, my Savior, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment