Thursday, November 29: Zechariah 7- Look inside.

Elizabeth Elliot, a Christ-disciple I deeply respect once said, “The best we can hope for is mixed motives.” Her words are so true. Even in my moments of deepest reverence and love for the Lord, there are pockets and specks of selfishness and willful disobedience to the Lord. I am imperfect at best.

Knowing this, it is healthy and wise to probe my inner life from time to time and honestly ask myself…how am I doing and where do I need to grow and change?  God poses introspective questions through Zechariah to His people.

Verses 4-6 Then the word of the LORD Almighty came to me: "Ask all the people of the land and the priests, 'When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months for the past seventy years, was it really for me that you fasted? And when you were eating and drinking, were you not just feasting for yourselves?

Here lies my musings and meditations for today. Am I as sold out to Jesus as actions might suggest? Are the motives for my spiritual and religious actions God-oriented or self-serving? Wow, this is not easy to consider but as I probe and examine, Elizabeth Elliott’s words ring more and more true. I am full of mixed motives.

Lord, every day, every moment, I fall short of You. The grip of my frail humanness is stronger than I like to admit. You alone are worthy and perfect, I am not, but just speak the word and I will be cleansed.

Thank You, Jesus, for your cleansing blood. Thank You, Jesus, for Your gift of the cross. Alleluia. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment