Friday, April 6: Galatians 2- Wise mature Christ-honoring counsel.

Given the wonder of having the Bible in my language, and deep desire to spend time in the Word, there is a potential problem that I begin to read it as a 'loner' or individual. This can be multiplied when in addition to Scripture we consider those things God speaks to us personally.

What is a check and balance that I am not running off in a wrong direction, deceived –even sincerely deceived –by my best thinking? The body of Christ, wise sisters and brothers, in the present and throughout history… this is my safety net.

I was impressed as Paul continued giving his testimony. In verse 1-2, he writes: Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.

It was the words I bolded that caught my attention. Paul was a man of the word, steeped in the OT as a student of Gamaliel would be. He also knew what it was to speak directly with the risen Lord and to be directed by dreams and visions. Still God directed him (notice the words, I went in response to a revelation) to seek out other esteemed leaders.

Ahh, the wisdom of trusted brothers and sisters. Over and over again in my life I have benefited from the counsel and wisdom of other believers… checking a thought, processing what seems like a word from the Lord, and keeping my theology within the bounds of orthodoxy. Like Paul I want to be sure that I am not running my race in vain.  However, let me say, I need mature men and women of the word who will give me truth not just what I want to hear!

So you have people you trust, esteemed friends with whom you can seek the Lord together or at least discern things together. This is a gift…

Think about it…

Lord, thank You for men and women in the body who have counseled me, and helped me, hear, discern and live out my faith in You. Thank You for the wisdom of the church of the ages and esteemed leaders who keep me on track with You. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment