Thursday, April 5: Galatians 1- The present evil age.

Many chapters in the New Testament have numerous touchstones, places that call out for deeper contemplation. I never quite know what verses the Lord will highlight and have me return to contemplate. Today it was an element in a description that I cannot recall pondering before. The thought that grabbed me was in verse 4 but I will include the immediate context of verses 3-5.

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

While every day the news' feeds blare about this bad thing and that tragedy, wars and terrorist bombings, school mass-shootings, the opioid crisis and yet, I never really consider our present age evil. Oh, evil things happen but to paint that age as evil is a different view of things than I would normally have.

But as I consider this Paul is far more accurate and right than I truly want to believe. And part of the reason I am not inclined to use Paul's language is that it indicts me. When evil things happen, I can point to them and think, those 'bad' people did 'xyz'.  At the same time I can kind of absolve myself from the evil. However, if I consider the 'present age evil' I have to point at myself because I am part of this 'evil age.'

It is natural that people of the world want to be positive and upbeat about the direction of humanity. That is, after all, all they have. But the church with its eternal perspective should have a clearer view and God's Word says Jesus gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age. I don't think the Lord is saying everything is evil, but at our root we are evil –opposed to God largely because we are selfish putting self above all things. Consider Eve and Adam's sin in the garden. I could mull on this for hours…

My take away, I am part of an evil age. I, and my human, cohorts are in rebellion against the Lord and we all desperately need the redemption of Jesus, without which we cannot live in relationship with our creator, God and Lord.

Lord, the human heart, my human heart, is in need or reformation, which can only happen when it is surrendered to Jesus. I surrender to You, Jesus. I bow and acknowledge you, Lord of the world and Lord of my life. In your name I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment