Saturday, March 31: Romans 13- .

Paul continues the practicalities of how we should live as redeemed Christ followers. Again today Paul's plain spoken wisdom is apparent.

As I read about how a Jesus person should act toward one's government I couldn't help thinking about how people live in repressive regimes. When do we submit and when do we stand up for what is right in God's eyes? I have no answer, just some thoughts; there are other Scriptures which will need to be weighed. Scriptures like, 'we must obey God rather than men' (Acts 5:29). These are never easy situations to live in.

But the primary verse which caught my attention this morning was verse 10. In his practical word on love, Paul under the Spirit's guidance, wrote: Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Love does no harm to a neighbor… I realize that this is a 'what not to do' statement, but I find it helpful as I was weighing how love calls me to act. Considering this statement, harm can be direct or indirect. Obviously I can harm someone by hurting them (direct) but I can also harm someone by not confronting a destructive behavior (indirect). Sometimes in my 'nicenes's I don't want to confront people with difficult issues. (I am speaking about people I have the right or authority to speak into their lives, not sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.) But my 'niceness' may actually not be loving… hmmm.

I don't normally think this way so I have to continue to let this steep more deeply into my life.

Love does no harm to a neighbor. A far deeper thought and way of life than I realized initially…

Lord, guide me into being a truly loving person is all aspects of the word. As I ponder and pray this into my life, may Jesus, whose resurrection we celebrate tomorrow and whose crucifixion we celebrated yesterday, be my guide. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment