Thursday, March 22: Romans 5- Glory in suffering???

 

As my eyes lit onto the page it seemed so natural to meditate on the peace we have with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (1). Yet as I continued to read it was in verse 3 that I found the impulse to meditate. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us (3-5).

The counter cultural sense of verse 3's opening –Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings –forced me to stop and wonder, marvel even.

I would never have written those words. I live in a world where I grow upset if I get in a traffic situation that costs me 5 minutes. At the beginning of a headache I have a choice of multiple types of pain meds. Where have I ever suffered, in life or for faith?  Where?

So I am trying to wrap my head around Paul's base line thought, we also glory in our sufferings… To glory in suffering first means you have to have endured suffering? And it seems reasonable that Paul is referring to suffering for his faith in Jesus. He offers quite a list of sufferings in 2Corinthians 13.

I have no such list. So I am struggling. I don't know what to do with this statement. My faith in Jesus hasn't cost me in this way. Oh, there are likely some costs.  But honestly I cannot kid myself… what costs, what suffering have I faced in my Jesus-following life?

So I sit here wondering, 'how do I process these words'?

I am sure God isn't saying, "Bill, look for suffering"… or inflict suffering upon myself as some ascetics once did. I trust these words are true.  If God ever asks me to suffer for Him I guess I will learn the depth and truth of these words in a way that a non-faith-sufferer can ever know.

Lord, I live for You.  However, if Your road for my life includes suffering for my faith, I pray for the strength to suffer well in the name of my Savior Jesus who suffered for me. Amen and amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment