Wednesday, March 21: Romans 4- God my savior.

 

Like an artisan hammering gold until it is so thin it can cover and overlay a chest, Paul is hammering away on the Gospel spreading its radiance as it covers all people who believe. He sums up in the last two sentences of the chapter: The words "it was credited to him" were written not for him [Abraham] alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification (23-25).

There it is… belief in God, in Jesus the Savior who died for our sins and was raised for our justification, is our credit of righteousness. We cannot earn our own righteousness, we destroyed that opportunity the moment we first sinned. The only way righteousness can be restored to us is through the work of Jesus –His death and resurrection. And we 'appropriate' that work by faith in Jesus. This is a gift offered to anyone and everyone whether Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male or female. Faith in Jesus is the only way of salvation.

As I sit and ponder this, I am awed and relieved.

Awed that God would do this for sinful people like me. Awed that God would pay my (our) ransom price. Awed that God would reveal the beauty of this truth to me… little old nobody like me. AWED!

I am also relieved. I don't have to try to earn my way back into God's good graces. I could never do that and the weight of trying was killing me. I am relieved of that burden by believing in Jesus. RELIEVED… Alleluia!

So I revel this morning in God my Savior!

Praise to the Lord my Redeemer… He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood. He carried me across the threshold of salvation when I couldn't walk myself. Thank You, Savior. Thank You, Lord. Thank You, Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment