Saturday, April 7: Galatians 3- The amazing presence of the Holy Spirit.

When I think about New Testament books that speak about the Holy Spirit, Galatians is not a book that comes to mind. I think that is why all the talk about the Spirit in this chapter surprised me.

Arguing for faith in Jesus rather than works of the law as the saving event, Paul appeals to the presence of the Spirit in their lives. He probes:

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? So also Abraham "believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness" (2-6).

I read and re-read these verses. The Holy Spirit and miracles –Paul's language indicates that the Spirit is responsible for the miracles –are proof that faith (believing) is our connection to God, not the law!

As I pondered this I am convicted by the state of the church today. I don't know any pastor who would point to the presence of the Spirit and miracles as proof that faith is the doorway to life in God. This pierces my heart, largely because I, as a pastor, would not think to use this argument. Uugh.

What has happened?

Where has the wonder of the Spirit gone? Where is His power? Where is the expectation that God will do what only God can do?

My heart is wondering and lamenting at the same time…

Lord, is there something in me blocking the work of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit's work seems so matter of fact in Paul's writings. I am wondering why that isn't the case in my life or the life of the church I know in my country and throughout much of the world.

Lord, open me more fully to the work of the Spirit. If there are any blocks in me, remove them, I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment