Wednesday, March 28: Romans 10- The essence of the Christian Faith.

There are times Paul writes in complex sentences. Other times he can distill the faith into concise statements. Chapter 10 includes one of his best concise statements.

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, "Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (9-13).

The message of Christianity… it is not a matter of race, or bloodline, or any other human distinction. It is faith in Jesus, declaring 'Jesus is Lord' and believing God raised him –shorthand for believing in the life, death, resurrection and saving work of Jesus. Christianity is not a matter of keeping rules and regulations… it is faith in Jesus and living accordingly.

As I noted yesterday, I do things due to my faith in Jesus (like attend weekly worship) but I do these out of love not duty. So there is effort in my faith but it is effort because I am loved not trying to earn God's love…

I pull myself back to the main point. The message of Christianity… is faith in Jesus, declaring 'Jesus is Lord' and believing God raised Him. And this I believe with all my heart and soul and mind and strength.

How about you???

I declare that Jesus is my Lord!

Help me, Jesus, to live that declaration constantly and for Your glory. In Your name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment