Tuesday, April 3: Romans 15- Considering my motivations.

There were phrases in the opening 2 sentences that surprised me. This is one of the joys and benefits of reading a passage slowly. We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.

I have never considered that I might bear with the failings of others to please myself or that I might do good to my neighbor in a manner other than to build them up. The wheels of thought began churning…

Serving others in order to please myself. As I ponder that I see how it is very possible. I could serve others to

Show my goodness to others

Fulfill a vow to the Lord or self

Earn a hearing before God so that God might 'have' to do something for me. (I think of people who give to God so that God 'has' to give them 10 times more).

The more I think about this there are many reasons why I might serve others for reasons that please myself. In fact I am sure I do this…

Ouch, the prick of God, the Holy Spirit, stings.

Likewise, I can have many motivations to serve others that ultimately are not based on the simple desire to build them up! Many of the reasons above could play here as well.

And again I am guilty of this as well.

Ouch, the prick of God, the Holy Spirit, stings.

I am left to consider my motivations… as I seek to live this seemingly simple word from the Lord. We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.

Oh, God, as I look at my motivations I am realizing how sin-filled to the core I am. Continue, Lord, to bring my sins forward that I might see them, realizing all the more how much I need a savior… how much I need Jesus. I pray in His name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment