Friday, March 9: 2Chronicles 30.

Earlier this week I had discussion with a friend on the parable of the sower. We talked about it being our job to sow the seed of God’s Gospel, but that many times people will not accept it. Hezekiah discovered this truth as well. In his zeal for the Lord and reinstituting the Passover he sent word throughout Judah and Israel. This is a bold move that certainly could have angered the king of Israel. Despite that Hezekiah sent out the invitation. We are told, The couriers went from town to town in Ephraim and Manasseh, as far as Zebulun, but people scorned and ridiculed them. Nevertheless, some from Asher, Manasseh and Zebulun humbled themselves and went to Jerusalem (10-11).

If you were counting numbers it seems like Hezekiah’s invitation was a bust. My sense of the account is that most paid the invitation ‘no, never mind.’ It occurred to me that we could read history another way… some who would never have returned to the Lord on their own did humble themselves and attend the Passover. And this is a great victory for God.

Reflecting on this account, too often I think about those who will not accept and therefore reject me (and yes, the Gospel) rather than on those who will accept it. This hampers me from sowing God’s seed widely. I am realizing that it is my being rejected personally, more than people rejecting the Lord and His Gospel, that causes me to be timid and not sow God’s seed widely.  How sad…

Oh, Lord, I confess my fears of rejection that hold me back from liberally sowing the seed of Your Gospel as widely as I could. Forgive me, Lord. And even more, embolden me, Lord, to be a bold and adventurous sower of Your seed, the word of God and the Gospel of Your salvation. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment