Monday, December 17: Galatians 4- Abba, Father.

I have had a number of nicknames throughout my life and the interesting thing is you can tell the era by hearing the nickname. Names are part of our story. And the names we have for others tell some things about the nature of our relationship.

Verse 6, spoke powerfully to me this morning. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." I have heard Abba defined in different ways. ‘Dear Father’ and ‘Daddy’ are two frequent interpretations of Abba.

To meditate on God as ‘Abba’, as ‘Dear Father’, as ‘Daddy’, is powerful for me. I have a good earthly father, so I carry no unfortunate baggage when it comes to the term ‘father.’ However, to think of God, the perfect Father inviting me to call him ‘Daddy’ or ‘Dearest father’ blows me away.

God is inviting me into relationship by using one of the closest and most caring relationships humankind knows! Wow!

Awe descends. The One who made the stars and atoms invites me to sit on His lap, to be protected by His might, to be enthralled by His wisdom, to know His love and so much more!

I think I will climb onto Abba’s lap right now…

Dearest Father God, Abba, my Abba, thank You for this safe place, a place to be known, cared for and protected. Thank You that I may come to this place whenever I need.

Oh, Father, my delight is to be Your son and my honor to represent You when I am anywhere but with You. May others see in me, You… Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment