Wednesday, December 26: Ephesians 6-Order in life.

Children & fathers, slaves and masters, yesterday wives and husbands, Paul gave instructions to each under the umbrella of mutual submission (5:21). There is a societal order to life. In order for life to function there is an order. It seems to me this word from God is asking, no directing, us to fulfill our role in the order with dignity and honor as if we were serving God Himself.
This thought quickly flipped to myself and the functions and roles I play in life…husband, father, adult son, worker, boss. I am hearing the Lord say to me to fulfill the duties of each role as if I was serving God directly, as if God were my wife, child, parent, boss or employee. Admittedly thinking of God in some of these roles is strange, but I got the point.
I thought about the roles I have that include authority and remembered Jesus who taught His disciples that the greatest in the kingdom comes as one who serves not one who lauds it over others as the Gentiles do (Mark 10:42-45). That puts a different spin on being a boss or father!
A second application I had went like this.  How can I appropriately display the fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5:21-22) as I live out my various roles?
Yes, life has an order to it, and God says fulfill my roles with the grace that Jesus provides…
Lord, thank You for the circle of people in my life. Help me to love and serve them honoring You alone who is Lord. Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment