Saturday, December 1: Zechariah 9- God my defender.

Zechariah 9:9 is a prophecy Jesus fulfilled on Palm Sunday when He road into Jerusalem on a donkey. As familiar as that verse is, it was the immediately preceding one, which sparked my meditation.

Verse 8, the Lord speaking: But I will defend my house against marauding forces. Never again will an oppressor overrun my people, for now I am keeping watch. God faithfully defends His house, His family. As I read these words, I had a picture of God standing with sword drawn against any enemy saying, “Not My house, you will not overrun or destroy My family.”

I suspect that this so touched me because I have been studying 1Corinthians in the New Testament recently. In the early chapters of that letter, God says very similar things about the Church, His Church. God will defend His Church and no enemy from within or without will destroy Her.

As these thoughts tumble, I am reminded of Jesus who also said, “the gates of hell will not prevail against her” (Matthew 16:18)

God is the defender of His people, of this I am sure and in this I find my rest!

Oh Lord, thank You for Your strong arm and fierce love. Thank and bless You Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment