Thursday, December 27: Philippians 1- Quest for best.

I found myself attracted to the sentence that begins in verse 9.  And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God.  And within this sentence was the thought that we should abound in knowledge so that we can discern what is best.
Discerning what is best. That idea captivated me as I sat with the Lord this morning.
The world is filled with many good things and sometimes I see decision making as a battle within self to choose what is good and to avoid what is bad. As I meditate on this phrase though, I am realizing life is more than choosing between what is good and what it bad.  Wow, we want to discern what is best. We want to discern the “goodest good,” if you will allow me to use such improper English.
I am wondering if I, too, often settle for good without giving any thought to what is best. My mind is whirling. Don’t settle for merely good, discern the BEST and do that. This adds a deeper dimension to decision making,   one that will take time to digest.
Lord Jesus, I am not sure how to pursue this quest for best. I sense You, the Father and Spirit would be delighted to see me embark on this quest, so all I know how to pray is help me begin… In your name, Jesus, I pray. Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment