Friday, December 28: Philippians 2- People of service.

The American dream, becoming whomever you want, often means dreams of success, becoming the star athlete, famous actor, important politician, running a successful business, writing a bestseller and the like. Fame, fortune, honor, importance, self-sufficiency, independence… these are the stuff of our dreams.
Who dreams of coming in second, of being the lab tech, the assistant this, that or other thing? Dreams are of the limelight not the backlight or shadows. And yet for every person out front receiving the accolades and honors, there are many more people whose work and service was necessary in order for the honored one to be honored.
In reading today I found myself attracted to Epaphroditus. Of him Paul -the great apostle Paul- writes:
But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs. For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow. Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me (25-30).
This is most of what we know about Epaphroditus. He was the church messenger who was sent to Paul to be Paul’s aide, helper, personal assistant and gofer. Had he not gotten sick and almost died, most likely we would never have known he existed. And yet Paul calls him my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier. Additionally Paul charges the church to Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.
Paul’s commendation of Epaphroditus shows he was a man who was worthy to be emulated. He played an important role in God’s kingdom advance.
As I sit here I am realizing God and our world need men and women like Epaphroditus, people who serve and care and labor, not for recognition or limelight, but with honor and understanding of the big picture!
I need to think more about this…
Lord, help me to hold Epaphroditus in high esteem. He labored for kingdom sake in the shadow of Paul. He sought no honor other than he was serving You. He placed his life in peril for You. Yes, Lord, I honor Epaphroditus and I seek the character he displayed even as I labor to serve You. Through Jesus my Lord, I pray. Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment