Tuesday, December 4: Zechariah 11 - God's Antithesis.

Sometimes seeing what is ugly or broken helps one to appreciate beauty.

I remember distinctly this river in Nigeria. Standing on the bridge looking down stream… the small stream flows irrigating some fields.  Though a bit brown you can see how the constant flow of water feeds the otherwise dry land.

Looking down stream

 

Turning upstream, I was horrified! The extreme litter and garbage was disgusting. Who would ever go in that river or use the water from that river for anything! Nauseating...

Looking upstream

 

God pictures for the people the anti-shepherd. For I am going to raise up a shepherd over the land who will not care for the lost, or seek the young, or heal the injured, or feed the healthy, but will eat the meat of the choice sheep, tearing off their hoofs (16). And then He pronounces His curse upon this anti-shepherd, "Woe to the worthless shepherd, who deserts the flock! May the sword strike his arm and his right eye! May his arm be completely withered, his right eye totally blinded!" (17).

Reading what this shepherd will be like helps me understand and appreciate all the more the gift of the Good Shepherd, Jesus who seeks the lost, heals the sick and cares for His flock even with His life…

Thank You, Oh Jesus,  for being the Good Shepherd, for saving me, caring for me and all those of Your flock. I love and praise You, my Lord and my God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment