Wednesday, December 5: Zechariah 12 - what is your life built upon?.

What is your security built upon? On what/who does your strength rest?

As Zechariah looks toward ‘that’ day he sees Jerusalem strong and secure. Her security and strength does not grow from an inner resolve or massive army or a protector nation like Egypt. Instead, Jerusalem’s strength, security and protection comes directly from the Lord. Then the leaders of Judah will say in their hearts, 'The people of Jerusalem are strong, because the LORD Almighty is their God' (5).

How different that is from today. When I read the news about Israel, her strength today comes from her well-trained army, her consolidated front and the United States as her allies. Clearly today is not the day Zechariah envisions.

Zechariah’s description of Judah in ‘that’ day draws me to contemplate where my security rests. Is my security built on my government for protection, for retirement (social security), for health care? Is my security resting on my medical insurance, my 401k and my portfolio? Is my security build upon my ability to make a buck, my frugality or my ingenuity?

These are difficult questions to answer, because certainly some of my security rests in these places. They are all factored into my life-long stewardship plan. But my questioning must go deeper still. If all of my answers begin with ‘me’ and ‘my’ then I must beware that I have built a ‘house of cards’ that could come tumbling down at any moment.

Supporting my stewardship hopefully is the Lord as the true foundation of my life. My life, if I am truly a Christ-disciple, rests in His care and watchful protection.

My life is His; my goal, His glory; my future in His hands…

Lord Jesus, Father Almighty, Holy Spirit, I pray this is so. I pray that my hope and future and life rests in You. Only then can I be content. Only then will I rest. Only then will I be greeted into eternity with the words I long to hear, ‘well done good and faithful servant…’

I ,again today, pledge my allegiance to You, Lord God Almighty. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment