Tuesday, December 11: Malachi 3- Robbing God.

The phrase ‘robbing God’ always catches my attention. How can a mere person rob God? The thought on one hand is laughable. Yet there it is, staring me in the face and it is God who uses it. Israel robbing God?

This issue is clear. Israel is not giving her tithes to the Lord. God’s people are not tithing.

I don’t really want to get into justifying the whole tithing (10%) thing here. God knows I am settled on that point and if you are reading this blog you need to settle that issue with the Lord. If you want to dialogue with me about it, send me an email and we can have fun discussing it one-on-one.

What does strike me is how we, God’s people in every age, come up with ways to give God the least we can without feeling guilty. These Israelites were not tithing, which was an OT law. In the NT Jesus talks about Pharisees who would set aside money as ‘corban’ so they didn’t have to follow God’s law about caring for aging parents. Paul has to remind the Corinthians about generosity (2Cor 9). It seems that honoring God and being generous toward God, particularly with our money and resources, is difficult for most of us.

I have no memory of ever having a conversation with anyone about how he/she could give God more! Every conversation I have ever had about money and God is just the opposite… what is the least I can give God and be ‘okay?’

So today I am thinking about my giving.  I invite you to do that, too. And how about this twist?  How about thinking how you can give more of your wealth and finances away to God-honoring activities.

Think about it…

Lord, create in me a generous heart… and the will to live generously toward You and the causes You delight in. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment