Monday, April 16: Job 4- False Truths.

'Pop theology' abounds in every age. It can be devastating, especially with vulnerable and hurting people.

Job's friend, Eliphaz, was doing more and doing better for Job when he was silent. These words won't make an anthology of encouraging words: Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever perished? Where were the upright ever destroyed? (7). Really, this is the first thing you say to someone who has buried his entire family and lost his entire wealth??? Besides being insensitive, it is not true. It probably was classic 'pop theology' in their day. Let's face it, it is a pretty good belief for people who are living!!!

I don't think too many believe this today. But we have our own pop beliefs.

·         God helps those who help themselves.

·         If you only had enough faith God would heal you

·         Prospering is a sign of God's pleasure.

Problem is they simply are not true. 

Considering the rampant nature of 'pop theology'. I found myself thinking about the only defense against these nice sounding false beliefs and that is God's truth.

Knowing the Word, reading and studying and spending time in God's Word is our only defense against falsehood in any form.

I know my understanding and theology isn't perfect. I am a mere human being. Howsever, the better I know God's Word, the better protected I am from the blatant falsehoods of 'pop theology' and the latest gibberish from most self-help gurus.

Lord, I pray that Your Word, taken into my life, will shield me against the onslaught of godless banter in my world… I also , Lord, that when I go to comfort a friend, I will give them my presence and offer them Your hope and Your Word rather than drivel. I pray this in the name I bear, Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment