Thursday, April 12: Job 1- Questions and trust.

Job is a strange yet interesting read for me, fraught with questions on subjects I regularly avoid. It presses me, but by God's grace, leads me to exclaim with Job, 'Blessed be the name of the Lord'.

As I begin my read, questions abound…

Consider verses 11-12 Satan challenges God to stretch His hand against Job. Satan speaking, But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face. The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger." Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

This begs the question, 'Who is it who smites Job'? Is it Satan or God? Is it Satan with God's permission? If God allows it, is that significantly different than if God causes it?

Another question, 'What's the deal with Satan being allowed in God's presence'?

The scene switches to Job's perspective; hearing reports of this entire family and wealth being destroyed, Job's response reignites the questions I had at first. At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised" (20-21).

Un-phased by any the theological debate about who caused his devastation, Job looks to the Lord… "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised"

What faith! What faith particularly in the face of devastation. Job inspires me to trust in the Lord!!!

Oh, God, I don't want to endure what Job endured. Still I am inspired by his faith in You and that is something I long for... to have absolute trust in You. Job trusted You when his life was charmed and he trusted You when the rug was pulled out from under him. I pray for faith to trust You always and in every situation Your providence allows. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment