Saturday, April 21: Job 9- Job gets it!.

Job is a man way ahead of his times. It is amazing how much he truly understands. He gets the plight we humans are in. We are not God. How can we even presume to stand on a footing with God that we could argue ourselves into God's good graces?  The Lord God is so far beyond our comprehension, who are we to stand in His presence?

I am amazed at Job's wisdom as he answers his friend. "How then can I dispute with him [God]? How can I find words to argue with him? Though I were innocent, I could not answer him; I could only plead with my Judge for mercy (14-15).

Job gets it. How can we mere mortals stand in the presence of God and win any argument? We could never answer God. Our humanness is no match for His godliness. It is crazy even to think that we could stand in God's court and win!

As insightful as Job's understanding is, he just blew me away when he continues. If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God's rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more. Then I would speak up without fear of him, but as it now stands with me, I cannot (33-35).

Although he is not quite describing Jesus and the role Jesus plays, Job definitely understands the need for Jesus. We need a mediator! And who could stand in God's presence and be God's equal besides God Himself. Oh, the wonder of Jesus –God in human flesh who takes our place.

This is where Job doesn't quite fathom the full mystery of God –not surprisingly, by the way, Job is human!

A mediator needs to do more than level the field so we can have our day in court. Jesus, the mediator between God and man, takes our place! He stands in for us, giving us His righteousness and taking on our sin which he pays for with His life on the cross.

As I round up today, I am amazed at Job's insight.  Even more I marvel at the love of God and the wonder of Jesus who is both mediator and 'stand in' for me, for you, for everyone who believes.

Oh, Jesus, thank You!!!! In Your name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment