Monday, April 23: Job 10- On the right track.

What an interesting book Job is. It begins with a glimpse of God in the 'heavenlies'. Then it shifts to earth and we walk with Job through horrors of loss and intense pain. We sit with Job as friends comfort him. Then words are exchanged, accusation of sin from his friends, 'explaining why he is in the state he is in.' Mourning and pain flow from Job's lips and the more his friends push the more Job pushes back his innocence.

I loathe my very life; therefore I will give free rein to my complaint and speak out in the bitterness of my soul. I say to God: Do not declare me guilty, but tell me what charges you have against me (1-2).

If I sinned, you would be watching me and would not let my offense go unpunished. If I am guilty—woe to me! Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head, for I am full of shame and drowned in my affliction. If I hold my head high, you stalk me like a lion and again display your awesome power against me. You bring new witnesses against me and increase your anger toward me; your forces come against me wave upon wave (14-17).

As I was listening to Job's reply today... As I was drawn into his pain and outbursts. I could easily understand his cries. I, too, could have said those things and I would have likely been less restrained. Why me? What have I done?... Name my charges. Tell me…

Next thing I know, I found myself wondering what God was thinking as He listened in. [I understand that these thoughts move beyond the text. They are pure speculation on my part, still I lingered with these thoughts for a while.]

What was God thinking as He watched and listened from His perch unnoticed by Job and his friends?

I imagined God crying. His heart breaking for his child. Was Job guilty? Of some things, certainly. No human is perfect. We have all crossed the line into sin. Still I imagine God's heart breaking. I imagine God's growing frustration with the friends and how they are perverting truth and heaping coals on Job. I imagine God whispering, hang in there… mercy will come.

I also imagine God thinking, 'Devil, you fool. You fell for it. I will be vindicated and in the future you will be vanquished. As you missed this one, so too you will miss the defining gambit when My Son, My only Son comes. You think you know so much, but what you don't know will be your undoing.

Slowly another thought formed in my inner being. What does my imaginings about God say about my understanding of God? Hmmm…

I see God as a caring, grace-filled Father whose wisdom is the undoing of evil…

Although I have much still to learn about my God, I think I am on the right track…

Oh, Lord, I bless You for these times when I can sit and ponder and think and be with You. Praise be to You, Father, Jesus Holy Spirit, One God, eternal, magnificent and wonder-full. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment