Tuesday, May 8: Job 23- To melt into God's embrace.

Job longs and cries out for his day in God's court. His deep yearning is to speak his case before the Lord, believing he will be exonerated. He believes he has kept faith and lived as God would have him live.

Pondering this, I recognize that Job may be a bit overconfident he could argue his case and win before the Lord. However I am touched by his desire to meet God because Job comes at this from a posture of faith and trust with reverent fear. I was impressed with how Job concludes:

But he stands alone, and who can oppose him? He does whatever he pleases. He carries out his decree against me, and many such plans he still has in store. That is why I am terrified before him; when I think of all this, I fear him. God has made my heart faint; the Almighty has terrified me. Yet I am not silenced by the darkness, by the thick darkness that covers my face (13-17).

Job understands God is God. He just wants his day in court.

Who of us hasn't wanted to know the answer to some burning question… why something has happened to you or someone you know. Is that substantively different from Job's request to hear from the Lord? I am not sure it is.

As I listen to Job I hear a person of faith. To stand in God's court is to acknowledge God at some level. Job has not written off God, he wants to face the Lord. Job has not denounced God, he wants to stand in His presence. Job has not cursed God, he desires a hearing with the Lord. From my vantage point this grows from trust and respect…

How deeply do I trust and respect the Lord? This question alters the direction of my time with the Lord. With it God rotates my perspective from looking at Job to examining myself.

Do I trust the Lord with my today and tomorrows?

Do I run toward God or away from Him when adversity strikes?

Do I seek His presence?

These are facets of faith in God… Aren't they?

As I ponder, God pulls me close. "You are mine." I hear Him whisper. I melt into His embrace…

Words do not come as I seek to pray. His presence envelops me. I am His.

Thank you, Lord, I manage to pray…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment