Monday, April 30: Job 16- Encouragement v. condemnation.

Job begins his rebuttal with an interesting observation.

Then Job replied:

"I have heard many things like these; you are miserable comforters, all of you! Will your long-winded speeches never end? What ails you that you keep on arguing? I also could speak like you, if you were in my place; I could make fine speeches against you and shake my head at you. But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief (1-5).

As I read Job's words, the thought that came to me goes like this, "When someone is in pain, don't lecture, encourage. Keep your words few. Comfort should be your aim."

Whether his friends were right or wrong what mattered most, and what Job did not receive from his friends, was comfort. All their words were stealing the life from Job and making matters worse.

I began to replay in my mind the conversation flow up through chapter 15. As his friends pressed their case that Job must be at fault somehow, Job's rebuttals grow stronger pushing him closer to the precipice of dismissing God or declaring God unjust. Fending off all their talk Job was sounding more and more arrogant and self-promoting.

Instead of letting Job grieve or cry, he was having to defend himself. He couldn't even vent.

Thinking about Job's comments caused me to replay my conversations with friends who are in pain or are scared. I am wondering if I was an encouragement. Did I help or hurt?

Job gives a powerful perspective on coming along side someone facing difficult times!

Oh, God, let Job's message seep in. Soften my heart and my need to be 'right' and give me empathy for others in pain. Lord, may my few words be words of life…

I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment