Saturday, April 28: Job 15- How do you measure faithfulness?.

Eliphaz again has partial truth. He gets that mortals are not pure. "What are mortals, that they could be pure, or those born of woman, that they could be righteous? If God places no trust in his holy ones, if even the heavens are not pure in his eyes, how much less mortals, who are vile and corrupt, who drink up evil like water! (14-16).

Still he is stuck on the notion that life and success are indicators of one's piety. Live well and you will prosper, defy God and you will have torment of life. Since Job is being tormented then he must have sinned; God is punishing him.

When I put this in writing it seems simple to see the fallacy of this theology, but yet, this thinking still has a grip on many. We observe it in the so called 'prosperity gospel'… God wants us to name it and claim it. God wills that all His people will prosper, which means 'do well financially and materially'. We can even observe it in people who set up certain tithing equations. If I tithe or give X, God will give me Y.

While these understandings of God might make sense in a prosperous country like mine, they are impossible in impoverished countries where survival rather than 'prospering' is the life hope.

God's voice bids me to examine my own thinking. Have I, in any way, slipped into some manner of thinking that faithfulness to God is the path to happy good life? If so, I must purge that thinking because it is a poor measurement.

Did Jesus measure His faithfulness by the good life?

Did Peter or Paul or any apostle measure their faithfulness by the good life?

NO. Fruit of righteous is a better measure.

So I am duly warned. Because which measuring stick of faithfulness you choose to use...

Oh, God, to be found, that is my desire. Guide me and help me to stay strong in You. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment