Friday, March 11: Psalm 90- Number our days.

My heart was drawn to verse 12, Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. What a prayer, and this from a person who begins, Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God (1-2). Clearly this psalmist is a lover of God and still he/she longs to gain a heart of wisdom.

An aspect of the wisdom the psalmist seeks is to number our days. My sense is that this phrase means to assess or account for our days well.... to take stock in our days and use them wisely.... to not fritter our days away on nonsensical or ungodly endeavors.

My heart cries for this in my own life, to use my days wisely.  That is, to use my days in ways that honor and glorify the One who is our dwelling place, who is from everlasting to everlasting.

How would the Lord have me use my days to honor and glorify Him?

As I gain more godly wisdom and learn how to number my days, I wonder how God might have me live that is different than I am living right now… this is where my time with the Lord goes today.

Think about it…

Lord, as the psalmist prays so I pray.  Teach me to number my days that I may gain a heart of wisdom. Oh, Lord, God, help me to grow in these areas.  I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment