Friday, March 4: Genesis 47- A life lived to honor God.

“Swear to me,” Israel said. Then Joseph swore to him, and Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff (31).

I love the line, Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff. Here is this old man, 147 years old, unable to stand without help and he still stands to worship God. What a picture of a life lived to honor God.

A smile grows on my face as I think about most Sundays in worship. Oh, I love vibrant and enthusiastic worship of young people.  However, where my smile grows the widest is watching the likes of Dottie and Peggy and other 80 and 90 year olds coming to worship, often pushing their walkers.

What an honor it is to stand in the presence of these saints who labor on and worship on despite hardship and failing bodies. They stand sentinel, reminding me weekly that I can make it, that the Lord is faithful and deserves lifelong allegiance.

Israel’s health was failing and yet he stood leaning on his staff worshipping God… that is faithfulness. I pray that in years to come should God allow me to live I will be like Israel, worshipping the Lord until my dying breath is taken…

O, Lord God, may it be so. May I worship you till my dying breath and in that way I will go from worship this side of eternity directly into worship with all the saints in Your presence in glory. Halleluiah. Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment