Saturday, March 19: Exodus 6- Ingrained habits are hard to break.

God continues to speak with Moses who is now in Egypt among his people. God gives a command and Moses falls back into old habits… he argues back, not with reason, but with excuses.

But Moses said to the LORD, “If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips?”

But Moses said to the LORD, “Since I speak with faltering lips, why would Pharaoh listen to me?” (12 & 30).

How often we tell God why we can’t do something. “Oh, God, I don’t have the time to serve. Oh, God, I can’t forgive ‘so and so’, they hurt me. Oh, God, I don’t have enough money, yet, to give to others. Oh, God, it is dangerous going on that mission trip. Oh, God, I can’t teach children.”

Oh, God, this, Oh, God, that… excuses, excuses, excuses.

I am amazed how whiny Moses, the great faith-hero of the OT, was. And while I realized this is NOT an attitude God desires, He persisted and used Moses to bring about the greatest escape from bondage in the OT.

I certainly do not want to presume God will do the same with me. But it does give me heart that when I whine God probably won’t simply throw me to the side. God will provide a second chance if I repent and turn from my ways and obey Him.

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday and as I gather with God’s people I want to be attentive for God’s voice.  He may issue me a call and I want to be faithful.

Jesus, I keep praying a similar prayer… I am Yours. Use me, Lead me. When I whine or complain, give me a second chance and, by Your Spirit, fill me with courage to say ‘Yes, here I am’ and the boldness to follow You.

In Your name, Jesus, and for the sake of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment