Tuesday, March 22: Exodus 8- An offer too good to be true, but it is true!.

In this chapter, as the story of the plagues progresses, Pharaoh owns his hardening. Twice (15, 32) the text says that Pharaoh hardened his heart. Pharaoh owned his sin. He grew more and more opposed to Moses and the Israelites. Whatever forces were pushing or pulling him away from God and God’s people, Pharaoh owned every step. He was culpable.

Flip Wilson’s, “the devil made me do it” line is never a defense. If we did it, we are responsible for it.

Like Pharaoh I need to admit and take responsibility for my own sin. Fortunately, by God’s grace and the cross of Jesus Christ, there is an answer for my sin… forgiveness through faith in Jesus.

1John 1:9 offers an incredible promise: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. Pause and ponder those words. What an incredible offer. God offers us forgiveness if we will confess our sin. Wow, what a gift!

Imagine if every criminal who went into court was forgiven and pardoned if they would honestly and wholeheartedly confess!

Reading the context of 1John 1:9, implicit in the confession is the desire to turn from the way of sin and follow Jesus. But still it is an incredible offer. One I accept… and I hope you do as well.

Thinking about this promise draws me to God and a time of personal confession…

Oh, Lord, I sit before you, owning the wrong I have done. You alone are righteous. Forgive me and cleanse me. I humbly repent and turn form my ways to Your way. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment