Friday, October 12: Isaiah 28- Pride goes before destruction .

As I began to read the chapter for a second time the word 'pride' caught my attention. Three times it appears in the opening 3 verses:

Woe to that wreath, the pride of Ephraim's drunkards, to the fading flower, his glorious beauty, set on the head of a fertile valley— to that city, the pride of those laid low by wine! (1)

[T]he pride of Ephraim's drunkards appears again in verse 3.

The writer of Proverbs reminds us that pride goes before destruction (Proverbs 16:18). Ephraim's pride is her undoing. And the Lord is coming to execute His judgment.

Pride is the downfall of many a person… leaders, presidents and kings as well as regular Tom, Dick and Jane. Pride gives us a false sense of security, an air of invincibility and eliminates our ability to make wise and righteous decisions.

It is interesting that in the instances above pride is coupled with alcohol abuse and drunkenness. They are a lethal duo. Alcohol, especially excessive alcohol (drunkenness and 'laid low by wine), also eliminates a person's ability to make wise decisions. Thus alcohol multiplies the negative affects of pride.

And these two led to Ephraim's demise.

Alcohol is not a major issue for me; pride, however, is another concern altogether. I have to be careful that I do not think too highly of myself. A swelled head is never good for decision-making. And a swelled head doesn't lead to God-honoring living.

The warning of Proverbs comes back to my consciousness: Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall (Proverbs 16:18).

Lord, may I heed Your warning… I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment