Saturday, September 15: Isaiah 5- Keeping the main thing the main thing.

Matthew, Mark and Luke quote Jesus saying, What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? (Luke 9:25, version) It is a strong and I'll admit a bit frightening word. In one way or another we all keep score of what we have gained. We record our bank account(s). We know the valuation in our homes, if we own one. We insure our vehicles, which means we place a value on them and so on. We all keep score of what we have gained. Jesus reminds us that that we can amass gobs of stuff, even the whole world, but none of it is any good if we lose our self, our soul.

Ultimately, Jesus' word is a comment on priorities. Stuff is secondary to God.

Isaiah has a similar thought in verse 12: They have harps and lyres at their banquets, pipes and timbrels and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands (12). We can hold the most lavish events, we can throw parties that are the envy of the neighborhood, but if we don't have respect for the Lord and the work of His hands, what good is it?

Isaiah and Jesus are reminding me to examine my priorities... in order to keep God the main thing that drives my life. This requires that I spend some time in quiet personal contemplation...

Will you join me?

Lord, meet me in the quiet. Instruct me in the deepest places. Lead me to You. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment