Thursday, September 20: Isaiah 9- Lead in the right direction.

Following hard on the heels of one of the greatest prophecies in the Old Testament about the coming of Jesus (2-7), the Lord begins to describe His anger against Israel (the Northern Kingdom). God called to them... But the people have not returned to him who struck them, nor have they sought the LORD Almighty. So the LORD will cut off from Israel both head and tail, both palm branch and reed in a single day; the elders and dignitaries are the head, the prophets who teach lies are the tail. Those who guide this people mislead them, and those who are guided are led astray. Therefore the Lord will take no pleasure in the young men, nor will he pity the fatherless and widows, for everyone is ungodly and wicked, every mouth speaks folly. Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away, his hand is still upraised (13-17).

When I read these words, God's comment about the leaders struck me hard... the elders and dignitaries are the head, the prophets who teach lies are the tail. Those who guide this people mislead them... God is angry with Israel's leaders because they led Israel astray! Leaders bear the responsibility to lead rightly and will be judged harshly when they do not.

Everyone is responsible for his or her own life. However, leaders are doubly responsible. They are responsible for their own lives and also that they lead people toward deepening faith in the Lord. I remembered the words of James in the New Testament. Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly (James 3:1). As a pastor and teacher these combined thoughts strike a deep nerve.

Lord, am I leading people to You? Am I living faithfully before You?

Two questions we can all ask of ourselves... think about it

Guide me, O thou great Jehovah... guide me in my own daily living and guide me as I lead Your church, Your flock, Your people. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment