Wednesday, October 3: Isaiah 20- Prayers for the United States of America.

In this short chapter, when I read verse 5: Those who trusted in Cush and boasted in Egypt will be dismayed and put to shame, I immediately thought when we trust in anything other than the Lord we will be dismayed and put to shame.

At one point Egypt was the pinnacle of human society, and yet here Egypt is being defeated by Assyria. Oh, how the mighty fall. Instantly as I wrote this last sentence I thought, someday that will likely be true of my country, the United States of America. Right now it feels like we are a forever great nation. Likely Egypt at one point certainly thought they were a forever great nation, but then the tide changes and the mighty fall.

Hopefully I will not be alive when the USA slips, but only God knows His plans for any country, including mine.

These thoughts drive me to pray for my country…

Lord God, for two centuries and counting you have had Your eye on the USA. You have protected her and helped us flourish. We like to think it is our ideals, and while that may be an element of our greatness, Your providential hand is the more foundational reason. I lift up my country and pray that You would sustain us. I pray that You would watch over us. Keep our eyes on doing good and help us from growing arrogant and haughty… like any mighty country we are more vulnerable when that happens. Grace us also to be a force for good in the world and to be a force for You and the completion of Your commission to take the name of Jesus Christ to the ends of the earth. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment