Friday, October 5: Isaiah 22- The danger of becoming puffed up.

I can easily imagine God's people in Jerusalem becoming puffed up as God circles them, judging all their neighbors and enemies. How much more the hammer blow of this chapter must have hurt as they rolled the scroll only to find their city and their name among the judged!

This stings because I can imagine so easily how puffed up Jerusalem could have felt because I think I would have become puffed up. My imagination is so much a projection of myself.

So even as God is judging Jerusalem in this chapter of the Bible, I am feeling a pinch of warning.

"Bill, don't allow yourself to become puffed up with pride on how well or how blessed you are. Beware, Bill, for you, too, are a sinner deserving of judgment. Only God's grace, mercy and love through Jesus Christ separates you from deserved judgment… don't ever forget this."

Lord, Your Word has chastised me. It has cut me to the bone and marrow. Cleanse me, O Lord, from my sin of pride, that I might be Your faithful servant. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment