Wednesday, September 12: Isaiah 2- Why do we esteem humans over the Lord? .

Honestly, I found this chapter a bit confusing. And I found myself thinking as I read, "Lord, help me. Give me understanding. Give me a morsel of your word to chew and meditate on." After reading much of the chapter more than once, my heart settled onto the closing verse of the chapter.

Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem? (22)

The verses preceding speak of the day of the Lord, when The arrogance of man will be brought low and human pride humbled; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day, and the idols will totally disappear (17-18). That will be a dreadful day. Human folly and arrogance will be laid bare and exposed as God is shown for whom He is, majestic and wonderful in His nature.

Isaiah ends the chapter with the words that grabbed hold of me. Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem? (22)

Why do we esteem humans over the Lord? I pondered this question.

Is it because I can relate to humans and God is so far removed from me? Is it that sin with its strong grip pulls my heart to worldly things instead of aspiring to the lofty ideals of the Lord? I am not sure of the answer. Likely it is what I mentioned and more all jumbled together. Whatever the root, we humans find it difficult to trust wholeheartedly the Lord God Almighty. So Isaiah speaks a theme that surfaces many times in the Bible. Stop trusting in mere humans...

Friends, family, and associates are all important in life, but they must never replace the Lord, who is the only One ultimately deserving our trust. 

Lord, show me if I have replaced You in any way by trusting more in people than You. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment