Monday, October 15: Isaiah 30- Listen up church.

Right out of the gate I was hooked. The imagery of verse one had me… "Woe to the obstinate children," declares the LORD, "to those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit, heaping sin upon sin; (1).

Obviously, this is a word to Israel but yet it gripped me as a word for today, a word to the church, a warning to me as a son of the King…  [T]o those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit, heaping sin upon sin

It is all too easy to think, I've got it. I know what to do and launch off with nary a thought given to the Lord and what He would want. I can solve my problem. I can…

Now it is not that the Lord doesn't want us to use the mind and abilities we have been given by Him, but to venture out only on our best 'wisdom' is to miss the gift God has given us, His Spirit is always with us. And worse yet is when we use our abilities and thoughts while avoiding what God has told us. This is rebellion… heaping sin upon sin.

So, the first part of my time with the Lord is processing this word, this warning from the example of Israel.

Yet, this is not the entire story. Throughout the chapter God continually reaches out to His 'children'.

Verse 15: This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it. It is sad that they will have none of it, still God is showing them the way back… repentance and rest. His offer to Israel remains good for all His children in any day and age.

Verses 18-19: Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! People of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you.

Here is God's heart… longing to be gracious. Just turn to Him. Just turn to Him. Again, this offer still stands. Though we are obstinate, we need only repent and turn to Him and He is there to reclaim and love us again and again.

How many times have I strayed and God welcomed me back with arms open and heart delighted that I have returned?

Lord, thank You for Your ever present grace, always held out and extended that I might reach for it and be drawn close to Your heart. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment