Tuesday, September 11: Isaiah 1- God holds out an olive branch.

As I sit today beginning my two-month sojourn through Isaiah, I wonder where God will take me and what the Lord will show me through this most significant Old Testament prophet.

Israel has been judged for her evil behavior. God has closed His ears to their prayers. Still God will not forsake them forever. He offers an olive branch. He invites them back into His good graces.

Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong. Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.

"Come now, let us settle the matter," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword."

For the mouth of the LORD has spoken (16-20).

Stop living sinfully, turn to me and I will wash you clean. I will forgive your sins. I will bless your land. This is God's offer.

After all Israel has done, after the ways she has prostituted herself with foreign gods, God continues to extend His hand to welcome Israel home… if they will turn from their sin and come to Him.

In this offer to Israel, I hear God's offer to everyone. "Turn from your evil ways and seek Me", says the Lord. "I will forgive your sins. I will redeem your life. I will welcome you home."

Lord God, thank You for Your offer of forgiveness, peace, and love. Thank You for grace, for a second and third chance. Place in me a new heart. A heart that longs to do right, to seek justice and to defend the oppressed. A heart that will take up the cause of the fatherless and plead the case of the widow. A heart that longs for You… that longs to be Your hands and feet in this world. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment