Tuesday, October 16: Isaiah 31- What am I trusting in?.

Again, today it was right out of the gate that the word latched onto my heart. Verse 1: Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, who rely on horses, who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen, but do not look to the Holy One of Israel, or seek help from the LORD (1). Two aspects of this verse caught my eye:

1.      Relying on horses, chariots and the strength of armies.

2.      NOT relying on the Lord.

Application was immediately apparent to me… we can trust in the strength man can produce or we can trust in the Lord. And how easily I can apply this to myself.

I may not have horses, chariots and armies, but I do have a middle class upbringing, college and advanced degrees, steady employment, a loving family etc., etc. And it comes very naturally to lean of these when trouble comes rather than leaning on the Lord.

I find the word 'but' instructive. God didn't expect Israel to give up horses, chariots and soldiers. What God did expect is that Israel would not rely on those to the exclusion of the Lord.

Now there was one piece God did expect Israel to give up… trusting in Egypt a rival 'god.' Egypt was not a god per se for Israel, but Egypt was a human power Israel turned to instead of God and that was a major breach of faith.

Back to my life, are there human institutions that I turn to so that I can avoid turning to the Lord? This is the question that the text asks of me. This is a question I must probe within myself…

Lord, help me to be honest with myself… honest before You. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment