Saturday, October 20: Isaiah 35- The brightness of God on a dreary day.

It is a rainy dismal day outside, yet when I opened to Isaiah 35 my day immediately brightened. Such is the power of the word, and a word of joy and redemption like today's chapter.

As I read verse 1-2: The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God.

Immediately I pictured this hillside in my town that just blows up in spring with crocuses of every shade and hue. There have to be 1000's of crocuses on this small hillside. It is just beautiful. Last year I stopped to photograph them it was so pretty.

This hillside is a signal of Spring... when the crocuses bloom everyone knows that we have crossed from Winter to Spring. Joy lights hearts to see the beauty in full bloom.

Isaiah, must have a hillside like this in mind as he writes.

What Isaiah sees with his prophetic eye is far more joyous that the annual arrival of springtime. Isaiah is imagining the day when God arrives on His glory. As Isaiah says: Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert (5-6).

Isaiah sees the Lord's day and describes the blessing side of God's day. Vengeance and judgment are one side, joy and healing and life the other. I am grateful to be on the Lord's side... His day will be a great day for His family.

After the heaviness of all the judgments, my heart is buoyed by wonder and joy of God's kingdom in all its splendor and delight visiting humanity.

My mind popped to the fact that tomorrow in worship I get to enjoy a taste of the Lord's day as I spend time with God's people in worship...

Oh, Lord, may you display Your power and majesty during our time of worship tomorrow. Come, Lord Jesus, fill the hearts of Your faithful with joy and gladness and a palpable sense of Your nearness. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment