Friday, August 9: Numbers 11– Danger of negative talk…

If you have ever worked with a group of people, at work, in your community, neighborhood or even in your family, few things can turn the situation sour like disgruntled people. Negative talk, whining and complaining is infectious and deadly. It sucks the life out of a group!
Israel began experiencing this phenomenon shortly after breaking camp and resuming their journey to the Promised Land.
In Numbers 11 Moses records the ‘wildfire’ of discontent spreading among the people. Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. God was not about to suffer with fools like this so God gave a warning. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp. All of this takes place in the first verse!
Seed of discontent might have been partially squashed, but they still smoldered.
A couple of verses later Moses tells us that The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, "If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost--also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!" (4-6).
This is even more insidious. In the first case people complained to the Lord directly. Now the sense of the story is that the “rabble” have gone underground.  They are jabbering in quiet one-on-one sessions or in smaller groups creating discontent with their inciting and inaccurate talk.
I found myself pondering how debilitating negative talk can be on a group or family.
The text didn’t lead me to any solutions. Unlike God, I cannot effect a natural disaster or bird migration pattern. But I can learn from this lesson and ask myself if I engage in debilitating chatter in the groups that I am in…
Lord, especially during the hardest tasks and most difficult times, show me how to be a positive force for good and for You. Help me to be a person who builds up not tears down. Help me be a person who talks things through openly with truth, rather than incites from the shadows. Help me to honor You, Oh Lord, by my manner of living in addition to the words of my mouth.
I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment