Wednesday, September 18: 1Corinthians 9- Singular focus.

In chapter 7 Paul mentioned how those who are married have multiple responsibilities to serve Christ and to care for their spouse. He advised not marrying, if that were possible, so that people could be singularly focused on serving Jesus (see 7:28, 32, etc).

Today we get a glimpse of what singular focus looks like for Paul. Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings (19-23).

I sat silent before these words. My focus on advancing God’s kingdom is not even in the same zip code as Paul. Even after I cut myself a break for being married and raising a family, since these necessitate a split focus, I am not in Paul’s zip code. His life had a singular focus… making disciples… house, home, retirement, vacations, hobbies, there is not a hint of these in Paul’s self-description here or anywhere in his writings for that matter.

Like I said I am not even in his zip code. I don’t even know who to pray today…

Help me, Lord, help me…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment