Tuesday, June 11: Leviticus 16– Atonement…

Atonement: Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong (online definition).
This chapter is all about the Day of Atonement when the priest entered the Holy of Holies to make atonement for himself and for Israel. The rituals for the Day of Atonement are laden with symbolism and meaning.
The last verse caught my attention. Verse 34: "This is to be a lasting ordinance for you: Atonement is to be made once a year for all the sins of the Israelites." And it was done, as the LORD commanded Moses. Every year the priest offers atonement for the sins of the Israelites. I wondered about present day Israel, since AD 70 and the destruction of the Temple, there have been no Day of Atonement sacrifices offered. How do they square that with the OT?
Then I thought, wow, where do I reinterpret things to fit my 21st century lifestyle and sensibilities???
My thoughts did a flip-flop, flashing to Hebrews 9. I encourage you to read verses 11-28.  I’ll post only the last three of those verses: … now he [Christ] has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.
I thought, God takes our need for atonement seriously! He provided an eternal way so that we don’t have to go to the temple yearly!
Thank You, Lord! Thank You, Lord Jesus, for making atonement for me and for all who believe and follow you… for all who are waiting for You.


No comments:

Post a Comment