Monday, September 16: 1Corinthians 7- All things marriage.

Well ‘all things’ is a bit of an exaggeration, but this chapter is devoted to many issues that result from marriage. Its raw honesty is refreshing.

Toward the end of the chapter, there was one brief clause that pulled me in. Verse 39, discussing the context of remarriage after a spouse’s death Paul notes, if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. It was the last 6 words that grabbed me.

He must belong to the Lord… Paul’s counsel, marry within the faith.

In our multicultural and multi-faith world of political correctness, these words seem so restrictive, so narrow, so oppressive. But are they wise? Do they make sense?

I am happily married for more that 33 years, so these words don’t really have direct meaning to me, yet I found myself engaging them in thought and prayer this morning.

Marry within the faith… the reasoning is sound. If faith is the core of who we are, which true faith will be… if our faith is the lifeblood of how we live, our guide for all seasons, then it makes sense that we should marry someone with a similar core.

Marriage is all about two becoming one and there is no way to blend two religious faiths (whatever they might be) with each other and have both faiths remain pure and true to their historic roots.

Marriage brings with itself enough issues, situations and complexities just melding two lives into one. Why add the intensity of divergent faiths?

To put it another way… is your faith so low on your hierarchy of importance that you are willing to compromise, bend and change your faith for the sake of your spouse?

Think about it… particularly if you are not yet married or are considering marriage.

Lord, I am so thankful for my wife. She has been a gift from You. Her voice and her lifestyle have consistently drawn us closer to You, even as I hope and pray my voice and consistency have done.

Thank You for this woman with whom I can share everything and with whom I live for You daily. Through your name Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment